Sunday, May 8, 2011

Fabricating New Hatch Guides

My 6.9 S2 is a 1985 vintage. Like all good things some of the hardware eventually wears out.  The hatch guides are a common thing that eventually breaks or cracks.  The original guides were made out of some type of hard plastic. I am not sure if it is lexan or polycarbonate. 

I searched the Internet for a replacement product and considered using aluminum or wood.  I did  not want to use wood because that would mean staining and varnishing which means I would have to redo it every couple of years. I was looking for the no maintenance option. 


As I was wondering through our local big box home supply store I ran across plastic brickmold that you use to trim around the doors on your house.  This is made out of a vinyl plastic and look about the right size and thickness.  I purchased ten feet for about $13 and thought I would give it a try.

My wife is always telling me to think outside the box, so I saw no reason this stuff might work.






The original guides were one 1 inch wide by 3/4 high.  The groove was set 1/4 inch off the deck and the was 3/8 inch wide.  I got out my trusty table saw and proceeded to rip the brickmold to the proper width.  I left the original thickness as is for added support.









After I cut the piece to the proper length and ripped the 3/8 inch groove. I drilled seven hole with a 3/16 inch bit.  I use 1 1/2 inch stainless steel screws and counter sunk then so they were flush.  I then applied a generous bead of 3M 4200 to the bottom of the guide and screwed it down tight.




 




The final product turned out very nice if I do say so myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment