Monday, September 3, 2012

New Bluetooth Speaker addition to JollyMon

With all the new technology today I wanted to do something different onboard my boat for entertainment.  Most people put a stereo receiver down below and run wires all over the boat to remote speakers.  These speakers would also have to be cut into the cockpit or bulkheads causing possible leaks and degradation of the structural integrity of the boat.

Most people have all their music on their phone these days. I too own an iPhone and an iPad.  These devices have both Bluetooth and AirPlay for wireless transmission of the music and video to speakers and monitors.

I purchased an iHome wireless Bluetooth speaker on Amazon.com for about $59.00 and mounted it with velcro to the inside of the top bin board on the hatch. I simply turn the hatch board around when I am out sailing to listen to music while underway.  I am free to move around the boat and control the music from my iPhone.

If I watch any videos on my iPhone or iPad the sound from the movie comes over the Bluetooth speaker also.
The speaker has pretty decent quality and volume but will not vibrate the boat like a 1500 watt stereo some kids have in their cars.  It is a sailboat so this small speaker works just fine for me.




4 comments:

  1. Great blog. There's an S2 6.9 for sale near me that I'm considering. Reading through your blog was very helpful in learning about the boat. Looks like you're doing a real nice job fixing her up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jasen,

      Welcome! They are a great little boat and easy to trailer and set up. Mine was in pretty good shape so there were only a few little things to fix up. The S2 6.9 site went away last fall. Not sure what happened. I have some more info that I will be posting. Any questions, give me a shout.

      Check out my other blog about Marine apps for your iPhone or iPad.
      http://i-marineapps.blogspot.com/

      Consider becoming a follower of the site.

      Mark

      Delete
  2. Oh, the S2 website, http://ww2.sail-s2.org, is gone. B^(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just picked up a 1984 s2 6.9. Looks like the normal maintenance stuff is needed. Front hatch, hatch slides, and a general cleanup. I am impressed with the build quality. It will be easy to get this near 30 year old boat lookin and sailing like new. It was a home coming as we brought the boat back to Michigan after spending its life in the south.

    ReplyDelete