Sunday, January 30, 2011

Maiden Voyage

The first thing that had to be done was a little clean up.  The boat was in amazing shape. The interior was spotless but has a musty smell.  I took everything out of the boat and gave it a good scrubbing. The aft cockpit hatches and aft compartment were full of mold. Water had been left in there some how and was never dried out. A little Clorox and some scrubbing took care of all the mold.  I took the covers off all the interior cushions and washed them.

I looked all the rigging over and found no major problems. The halyards will have to be replaced but the standing rigging and the rest of the hardware on the boat was in good working order.  The boat is a 1985 vintage boat but the decks were surprisingly in great shape.  The gel coat has started to chalk a little which is common for a boat this old.  The sides of the boat were in pretty good shape.  My wife purchased me a power buffer to I spent a few days buffing and polishing the topsides to bring back a shine.  The old Minnesota state registration numbers were painted on.  I used some paint stripper and got most of it off. The rest I wet sanded with 1000 grip paper.  More buffing with compound and it was ready for the South Dakota registration.

I had to round up another boat lift so I could put it out next to my dock and my 19ft Crownline ski boat. I have lived on Lake Kampeska since 1984, raised two kid and had a ton of fun messing about in boats.




3 comments:

  1. You have to select the boat accessories that you need according to the type of boat that you have, and the purpose that you are going to use it for.

    Voyage Electronics

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just bought a 6.9 and now next weekend I need to drive 800 miles to go pick it up. I am excited to get it back up north. Hope to have enough time for a Madian Voyage yet this year. This will help make the project list for this winter. More to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve,
      Congratulations on the purchase of your "classic plastic" S2 6.9. I have been nothing but happy, happy, happy with mine. They were designed and built in the 1980 and many of them are still around today in great shape. I was so impressed with the fiberglass work and heavy duty hardware. They are built 10 times better than most production boats today. These boats were built to last so I am glad you found one.

      Let me know if you have any questions. I would be glad to help if I can. Send me some pictures or start a blog yourself so we can all share in the fun.

      Mark

      Delete